- NON-SURGERY AESTHETICS
Breast reduction surgery is the operation of removing tissue from the breast that is larger than normal and reducing it to the desired size. In this surgery, lifting is also performed along with reduction. In other words, the nipple is taken up to its normal position.
What is the reason for breast size?
Breast size is mostly due to genetic factors, but it can also be due to hormonal diseases.
At what age can Breast Reduction Surgery be performed?
It can be applied to anyone over the age of 18 who does not prevent him from getting anesthesia.
What are the problems caused by breast size?
- Causes neck, back and waist pain.
-Large breasts restrict physical activity, which is the cause of obesity. Obesity will increase breast size even more.
-Large breasts sag more and do not look aesthetically pleasing.
-The choice of clothes is also a problem for women with large breasts. You may have to choose looser clothes with a larger chest.
- Rashes and skin lesions may occur under the breast.
As the amount of breast tissue increases, it increases the possibility of breast cancer.
In the preoperative examination, how much the breast sagged, how far it has advanced to the armpit, and whether there is a mass in the breast are evaluated. Additional diseases and risks are evaluated in terms of anesthesia.
Before the operation, routine blood tests and examinations for diseases are performed. With mammography, it is evaluated whether there is a suspicious lesion in the breast. If there is a suspicious lesion, it is evaluated by consulting with General Surgery.
How much will the breast be reduced?
We decide how much the breast will be reduced, in line with the patient's wishes, in proportion to the width of the shoulder, weight and height of the patient.
Does breast reduction surgery cause cancer?
No, on the contrary, it reduces the risk of developing breast cancer.
What kind of scar is left after breast reduction surgery?
Breast reduction surgeries always leave scars. There is a scar around the nipple, a vertical scar under the nipple, and a horizontal scar under the breast. The length of the scar that will remain depends on the size and sagging of the breast. All traces diminish over time. The quality of the suture scar varies according to the wound healing status of the person.
Points to consider before surgery
If you are a smoker, we recommend that you quit 1 month before the surgery. Smokers are more likely to have poor circulation, wound healing problems and a worse scar on the nipple.
- If you have a chronic disease such as heart disease, diabetes, asthma, thyroid (goiter), hypertension, you should be using your medications regularly and you should get confirmation from your doctor who is following you that there is no harm in the surgery.
-You should not have a disease with an active infection such as a cold or flu.
-You should avoid excessive fatigue, very strict diet, drug use, excessive alcohol consumption that will suppress your immune system.
- Herbal products such as aspirin, blood thinners, vitamins, homeopathic substances and green tea used before the surgery can cause very serious bleeding problems and drug interactions during and after the surgery; It should not be used during the one-month operation period, 15 days before and 15 days after the operation.
It is definitely inconvenient for people who are likely to be pregnant to have surgery.
- If you have been treated before due to clot formation in the veins, the doctor should be informed about this.
- Nothing should be taken by mouth, including water, 8 hours before the scheduled surgery time. Continuously used blood pressure medication, thyroid medication, etc. can be taken within the knowledge of the surgery team.
Breast reduction surgery is performed under general anesthesia in a hospital setting. The operation takes approximately 2 -2.5 hours. At the end of the operation, we close your seams with special waterproof tapes and dress your corset. We are hospitalized for 1 night. The next morning, we remove your drains and discharge them.
Post-operative care and considerations
- After the operation, it is necessary to lie on your back for 2 weeks. After the 2nd week, you can sleep on your side.
You can take a shower on the 3rd day after the operation.
-After the surgery, you can do all your daily work and drive with your arms down. For 1 month, you should not raise your arms above the shoulder joint beyond 90 degrees.
– You should use a special corset bra for 1 month after the operation.
– There is no stitch to be removed. After the surgery, we remove the tapes that we adhered in the surgery in 2 weeks.
– You can do all kinds of sports activities 1 month after the operation.
All rights reserved. Op.Dr.Orhan AYDIN
Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery Specialist
Kiss. Dr. Orhan Aydın was born in 1984 in Kırcaali. He completed his primary and secondary education in İzmir. He graduated from Manisa Celal Bayar University Faculty of Medicine in 2008. He completed his specialization training in Pamukkale University Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery Department between 2009-2014. Between 2014-2015, he completed his compulsory service at Şanlıurfa Mehmet Akif İnan Training and Research Hospital.
Health Sciences University, where he started working in 2015, Dr. Abduraahman Yurtaslan left his duty at Ankara Oncology Training and Research Hospital in November 2018...